About Old Coach Road
What to Do
The Local Area
Ohakune township began as a small settlement at the junction of the roads from Raetihi, Waiouru and Taumarunui.
It is also where the Mangateitei Stream flows into the Mangawhero Stream. (top photo).
On an 1892 map of the town, there was a blacksmith shop, Public Works Department whare, convent house, Engineer's residence, PWD cottage, PWD store, an office, PWD hospital, a stable, a whare by the Mangateitei Stream, and a school.
Ten buildings in all.
When the railway reached Ohakune, the station was about one and a half miles away from the town on what is now named Old Station Road and Marshall's Road.
It was around September 1908 when vehicular traffic from the present station was able to get across the Mangawhero Stream bridge and connect to Old Station Road.
When the train journey between Auckland and Wellington was a two day trip, passengers stayed overnight in Ohakune. They had to get from the station to accommodation in the town, and back again the next morning to continue the journey.
In winter the road between the station and the town was very muddy, not too bad for those in coaches, but most uncomfortable for those walking.